Thursday, March 7, 2019

100 Days of Poetry: Days 36-40

Regrets

Thinking about you today
Though decades have passed
And our life stories divided long ago

Perhaps you have forgotten that afternoon
Sitting uncomfortably on Old Main Hill
Treading a no man’s land between friendship and love

I mourned the loss of easy friendship
You wanted more
I should have read the signals
In sweet notes and thoughtful gifts
But, eighteen and naïve, self-centered
I drank it in as my due

I liked your sweatshirt
You gave it to me
I thought of Yellowstone on a whim
And we took your car
Camping in the snow
Waking up to a nosy park ranger
And the mountains I loved

I had never held a gun
You taught me to shoot on an early summer day in the canyon

I have regretted hurting you
Long after the hurt faded
Long after you moved on to greater loves
And more deserving friendships

And much as I love to be remembered
And adored
I hope with all my heart
That you have forgotten my name

My Doppelgänger

They say we all have doppelgangers
Doubles
Twin strangers
I wonder where mine is?
Somewhere quite prosaic, perhaps
Just going along about her business
Washing dishes and wondering what to make for dinner
Making a duty visit to an acquaintance
Buying sunglasses from a street vendor in Manhattan
(Because we always forget to bring sunglasses in March)

Or, perhaps she is the flip side of our coin
Making oh so cute crafts with the ladies on a Wednesday afternoon
Talking on the phone for hours by the pool
Or playing the slots in Vegas
Ugh

I'm quite certain I have not met her
Though I always see myself in a painting by John Scott
A woman stands on the temple steps, holding a baby
Looking up at the Savior
Quietly confident, listening
Head tilted up to catch every word
As if Christ speaks directly to her
Among the crowds of eager disciples
She looks poised to act
And yet serene

I am well beyond her age now
And at a closer look, she hardly resembles me
But she caught my eye years ago
And now, passing through the church foyer, I seek her out
I have never pointed her out to a friend
Perhaps unwilling to let the image shatter
The imagined resemblance fade to nothing
Instead, I just smile to myself and give a quick nod
To my secret doppelganger

For My Friend on a Dark Day

In my favorite children's story
Frederick, the mouse, gathers sun rays to warm his fellows on cold, dark winter days
On your cold, dark winter day, my friend, I give you...

The first true belly laugh of your baby
The magic of snow falling lazily on Christmas Eve
The robin's song in early spring
Or the mourning dove calling to the rising sun
Fireflies on a summer night in June
The welcome relief of tears
Hugs without words
Frosted spider webs glittering in the morning sun
Ocean sunsets reflected on the waves
The first bite of food after a day of fasting
A perfect Sunday afternoon nap
The anticipation of a first kiss
Your favorite book, with a cup of hot chocolate
Flickering candlelight
An unexpected visit from an old friend
Flannel sheets on a frigid winter night
Dinner rolls hot from the oven
And the first daffodil of spring

I wish you joy to flood your heart
Peace to ease your fears
And hope to light your path

Prejudice and God

(a Blitz poem)

Shed a tear
Shed prejudice
Prejudice blinds
Prejudice can kill
Kill time
Kill them with kindness
Kindness will triumph
Kindness above all
All alone
All in
In a pickle
In a state
State your case
State your name
Name your loves
Name your fear
Fear mediocrity
Fear nothing
Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing holds you back
Back against the wall
Back in time
Time reveals all
Time will tell
Tell me everything
Tell me now
Now is the time
Now you see me
Me before you
Me-ander through the forest
Forest fires
Forest green
Green thumb
Green with envy
Envy holds you back
Envy no one
One more time
One day more
More happiness
More money
Money corrupts
Money buys fickle friends
Friends raise you up
Friends forgive
Forgive yourself
Forgive God
God will listen
God does laugh
Laugh
Listen

Leavenworth Limerick

One day on a snow-covered hill
A traveler looked for a thrill
And then with a pop
He came to a stop
The plastic sled broke in a spill

Beauty

(a Fibonacci poem)

If
I
Ever
Stop trusting
Life to bring beauty
Show me sunsets on the ocean

No comments:

Post a Comment