Sunday, May 5, 2019

100 Days of Poetry: Days 86-90

Easter

Every burden I have carried
All my sins, heartache, weakness, anger and loneliness
Swallowed up in one unfathomable sacrifice
The God of Heaven bled for me
Entered Hell for me
Remembers me still


Wemberly

My daughter worries
Questions, frets, stews and wonders
Craves reassurance
Like sand in an oyster shell
Rich pearl gathering shape

Mathematics of Marriage

One more late night
+
Two parallel paths trying, and mostly failing, to merge
+
Infinite pointless apologies
=
Zero clue how to proceed


Mantra Time

I will find joy, even on stupid days
I will learn to wait in stillness
I will create something every day
I will run until my legs stop moving
I will remember that God loves me, knows me, has not forgotten me
I will love even when loving feels difficult
I will pray when I struggle to believe
I will choose to lift up, not bring down
I will forgive myself and others
And when I fail at one or all of these
I will shake it off and try again

Utah

Cloud shadows paint hills and valleys from one horizon to the other
Irrigated meadows rise to arid mesas
I imagine flying along the ridge on a horse
(Never mind that I know nothing about horses)
Traversing hills and valleys
Unbroken by trees
Chasing shadows
Pausing in awe when clouds glow pink and orange in the setting sun
A nightly miracle that never fails to steal my breath
Overnight, I traded Olympic moss and dripping trees
For Rocky Mountain grandeur
Even with steel plants belching smoke
Stretches of barren desert
Cities that crawl, haphazard, for miles
Hillsides scraped and harvested
This landscape expands my heart
Lengthens my vision
Inspires

No comments:

Post a Comment