Sunday, May 5, 2019

100 Days of Poetry: Days 91-95

Vacation Morning

Quiet house
Unfamiliar and, thus, restful
No assignments
No schedule
Few expectations
Morning tea in a strange cup
Frosted mountains outside my door
Bold sun, shining as if it owns the place
Nooks and crannies to discover in a rented house
Snacks and spices I wouldn’t have thought to buy
Mis-matched decor that somehow suits
Running path awaiting my feet
Freedom and possibility

Morning Run

Towering mountains
Brilliant sunshine, altitude
Weary, but worth it

Today I loved

Running in sunshine through neighborhoods so new the sod still looks like a checkerboard
The first bite of movie popcorn
Gauging our progress by the mountain peaks that tower over Utah Valley
Watching men cook while women chatted
Eating marinated, grilled scallops
Guzzling cold sparkling water after an afternoon in the heat
Passing random farms in the middle of suburbia
Actually beating Brad in a race car arcade game
Kristina’s unabashed delight at her temporary tattoo
A few quiet minutes to write before bedtime

Vacation Sunday Service

Back row luxury
Peaceful anonymity
Simply worshipping

Coming Home

Canyon views
Snowshoe philosophy session
Asian noodles with a chocolate almond chaser
Jane Austen narrates my drive
Wasatch Front to my right
Memories every mile
Comfortably bemoaning politics with Daddy
While Mother listens from the sofa, content
I am home
Unfamiliar bed
Living out of a duffel bag
Hundreds of miles from my house
But remembering a rhythm of my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment